Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Soot of Our Souls


Looking deeper into why the light wasn’t shining out of my black and white mosaic candle holder never occurred to me.  But, tonight was different.  A night to relax, burn some candles and just be.  I picked up the holder and for some odd reason decided to pull the candle out from its depths.  Making a mental note to buy a new candle, I stopped, looking in, I noticed that soot had entirely covered most of the top half of the inside of the holder.  I had been wondering why light was only shining out of the bottom half.  I grabbed a tissue and cleaned it, placed the candle back inside and lit it.  My heart was overwhelmed at the parallel that came to mind as the light shone out brightly.  And I had to wonder, is that how my light has been looking to God lately?  It’s how it felt to me.  That my light was dimly shining, so dim that I was wondering if I had His Light, was it all just an act?  And it occurred to me, that deeper look that I had been putting off, the one that I'd actually been longing to take, that one that I was so afraid of because God might bring me pain, that pain that I so feared even though it brings refreshing and newness and growth.  It was time to take a deeper look, to clean off the soot with the cleansing Word of God.  It was time to be refreshed, time to be restored even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment