In Light of Love



In honor of one of my best friends as she looks forward to this day.


**************************

To love and be loved.

What does this mean? What does it look like?
I look at the last few years of my life, and it takes on many different meanings.

The gracious redemption of the Savior. Forgiveness showered. Grace poured. Moments of tears.
These are all love.

Wispy, clouded, golden-hued sunsets. Sitting on top of mountains, gazing around. Piano music dancing. Singing. Quiet mornings of rest. Laughter. Precious memories.
These are all an outpouring of His love.

And yet, so often we forget.
We forget to hold these close to my heart.
To remember that He has not forgotten us.

We focus on the busy of today, blinded to the day’s beauty.
Harsh words cascade when we forget love.
Patience is lost to fear creeping into our hearts.

Then a moment of longing comes, and we sit.
We sit down at the feet of the only One who can calm us.
He always gives so graciously.

This morning, He reminded me of this.

“So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.”
-1 John 4:16-18

Ahh, there is no fear in love.
Its perfection casts out fear.
It makes me think of that moment, this moment coming soon.
That moment of a bride walking down the aisle toward her love.
In that moment, she walks, beautiful in white, trusting, toward the man she will call her own.
She has let him love her, trusts in that love.
He waits, smiling at the breathtaking beauty.

Human love is not perfect, but through Christ this love becomes more pure and perfect.
His love will endure. Fear cannot reign when the love of Christ is present.

************************

Ruby, love, we connected in ways that I have never connected with anyone else. God gave me you for many reasons. I think you would agree with me. I will always treasure our talk in the gazebo that one night. (You know which one :) ) That night gave me hope, as I know it did you. I will always hold dear those nights we talked in the car outside the duplex, tears and laughter. Both so precious. The moments you were in Ohio with me, our walks, and catching fireflies because we simply wanted to. Praying with you. My dear friend. You are a gift straight from the heavenlies, and I thank Jesus so much for you. I can't help but get teary-eyed as I write this. You are getting an amazing man. I've known him for years, and my heart is filled with joy that he found you and you found him. I pray Christ will always be the center of your lives, and that you will learn and grow with each other. I love you dear sister. 

Comments

Popular Posts